The Council for Credential Innovation (CCI) is the body for senior leaders charged with driving non-degree credential strategy at the unit or campus level, and key thought leaders from other nonprofit organizations and companies that are actively contributing to the development of the alternative credential space. The Council and its leadership are focused on leveraging the strategic potential of non-degree credentials and non-credit education and training to transform institutions of higher education as well as the talent marketplace.
Each UPCEA member institution has the opportunity to identify a representative to the Council for Credential Innovation — a campus leader when it comes to thinking beyond degree programs and credit hours, whether at the unit, college, or institutional level. Institutional representatives are able to attend the invite-only events and participate in other exclusive content hosted by Council for Credential Innovation. In addition, select nonprofit partners and corporate partners engaged in alternative credentials are invited to identify one individual to participate in the Council. If you would like to update or add your institution's representative to the Council, email [email protected].
The Council will support post-secondary professional, continuing, and online (PCO) leaders as they seek to advance and develop quality non-degree or alternative credentials in higher education. The CCI will focus on thought leadership and strategies that support innovation and lasting change at institutions. The Council will provide a forum for senior leaders at postsecondary institutions to engage and learn more about non-degree credentials and the value they have for learners and employers. The CCI will:
- Curate, disseminate and provide context for research, frameworks, models, and emerging practices as well as address the lack of typology, terminology, and standards in the space.
- Elevate discussions, provide guidance, and inform c-suite leaders and the emerging profession using existing or CCI-conducted research.
- Advocate on behalf of learners and institutions, sharing the value and importance of non-degree credentials to stakeholders through real-world examples and models within the workforce and education ecosystem.
The non-degree credential space is noisy yet emerging as an important area of growth for institutions, a viable educational pathway for learners, and can signal skills and competencies necessary in the workforce. The Council, inclusive of representatives from institutions and non-profits, is organized around three subcommittees:
- Research - This subcommittee engages in regular reviews of new literature/studies on postsecondary non-degree credentials with the goal of dissemination research that informs institutions. Occasionally, after having noticed a gap in research, this group will encourage/support new research conducted by UPCEA (sometimes in collaboration with other groups).
- Standards and Terminology - This subcommittee seeks to identify seminal work, new and best practices, and terminology in the non-degree space, providing an opportunity to standardize aspects of non-degree credentials.
- Landscape Mapping and Analysis - This subcommittee works to provide models and examples on aspects of non-degree credentials from institutions delivering alternative credentials.
2021-2022 Council for Credential Innovation Leadership
The Council for Credential Innovation Leadership is a volunteer group made up of CCI representatives from UPCEA member organizations.